Thursday, February 27, 2014

10 Facts About Tea

I'm not a Tea Master, nor do I play one on T.V. However, my aunt, Thresa Griffin, is a Tea Master. She is the owner of Napoleona Tea Company. My sister, Rosalyn, and I have been thinking about furthering our education of Tea. Just so you know, our education consists of going to the local grocery store and buying whichever Tea box looks the fanciest. Our early education is boiling 5-7 family sized teabags in a pot, let it cool down a bit and then add half a pound of sugar and pour into an old pickle jar known as the "tea jug". I consider this the "Basic Southern Style" method.

Okay, so we've established I know nothing about Tea. I still thought it would be fun to list 10 facts I do know.

  1. Tea leaves come from a plant called the Camellia sinensis.
  2. Pekoe is how a leaf is cut.
  3. Herbal teas are not actually considered tea, but are infusions. (I know, I feel the same way, it's a tea.)
  4. Tea (black) is meant to be consumed au natural....no sweetener, lemon, or milk. (Again,......what??? Really, I love a little tea with my sugar and lemon....Jus' sayin')
  5. White teas and herbal teas are not to be steeped in boiling water.
  6. Tea can help cure or a least help with just about every ailment in the book, including alcoholism.
  7. Kenya is currently the world's largest exporter of tea.
  8. Argentina is where the US gets most of its tea.
  9. Catnip can be used as a tea. (MEOW.....I wonder if it has the same effects that it does on my cats..??)
  10. I love tea, and that's a fact, Jack!

Please feel free to comment. Educate me on tea. Share your knowledge.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I need to cut and paste this and save it! I love tea, too. I had no idea that pekoe was a style of cut! I also like my black tea with a lil' sumpin sumpin. But I usually inhale deeply first to get that lovely tea aroma in my nose ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Clearing my throat and speaking in my Southern educated profound voice)........The author of this blog should have been more concise in her meaning of "cut". Although "cut" is the term used by Tea Masters, it actually means where on the plant the leaf was harvested. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Black_tea_grading.jpg....lol I really don't care where or how it was cut. Just as long as I have some in my house!!! I'm a tea addict. And yes, the aroma is just the first part of the enjoyment...I agree.

      Delete