Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Black Moon in March 2014

Just what is a Black Moon?

 
 
A Black moon occurs when there are two Dark Moons, more commonly known as new moons, in a calendar month. And what is a new moon, you ask..? A new moon is when the moon reaches it's most minimum brightness. In other words, it's not visible in the sky because the Moon and the Sun have the same ecliptical longitude. At 13:44 (EST), March 30, 2014, we will be able to witness this rare event.....WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!!! Witness what???????
I can see me now, running outside with my 20 year old son and 16 year old daughter in tow, making them look up into the sky at.........nothing. This may, just may, mind you, top the time I forced my son to watch the sky for two hours to see the Space Station pass over head. Yeah, that was a great 7 seconds of fun for the whole family:) You just can't get that kind of bonding anywhere. Needless to say, I hope my children do not hold any of my "adventures" against me when I'm old and they're fighting over whose turn it is to spend time with me.

And this concludes our lesson on the Black Moon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment